Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Longest Subbing Job? I Think So

So....the day is almost here. Starting tomorrow, I'm subbing three days in a row, the longest streak I've done. Doesn't seem like much, but I'm nervous!
I've realized I've been coming at this job with the wrong attitude. Ever since the teacher told me she was going to be out and I'd be subbing, I dreaded it.
They're kinda a tough class, mainly chatty, but it's nothing I can't handle. If I go in expecting the worst, that's what I'm going to see. I'm going to be less patient with them, see their actions in a more negative light, and just stress myself out. It's a few days, and I've just gotta follow the plans left by their teacher. I've got my classroom management plan ready and my prize bag fully stocked. I need to be more confident about my OWN abilities, and understand that they're kids and they're bound to test the waters a bit with a sub. I know that patience is what I need to work on most in my teaching, and this is a great practice for that.
So, bottom line: going into this with a positive attitude, laying out the ground rules from the start, and getting through these three days.
(It wouldn't be so bad if I didn't have to take a difficult standardized test Saturday after subbing Thursday and Friday and then knowing I have to come back Monday and possibly even Tuesday and Wednesday morning!)

I'll update after each day. Here's hoping it goes well!!

No comments:

Post a Comment